10. Charity – Last year’s Shopping & Sweets event was a big success, so we decided that this year, we’d split our proceeds between 2 charities this year. For 2011, our charities are The Caring and Sharing Exchange: Christmas Exchange Program, and the Orleans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre. These organizations helps families in need during the holidays and as we all know, this is the time of year that they need us the most. 100% of the proceeds from our cupcake sales will go directly to our charities and in addition, all proceeds from table sales and bag drops (after expenses) will also be donated. Win win for everyone involved!
9. Support Local businesses – We are happy to say that all of the participating businesses, sponsors and contributors are small local businesses. Small businesses need our support in order to keep doing the wonderful things they do.
8. Holiday Shopping – We have a large variety of vendors participating in our event, so there’s a very good chance you will be able to get many on your shopping list checked off! (and maybe even pick up a few things for yourself!)
7. Learn something new – We bet that by coming out to the Shopping & Sweets event that you will discover a new local business (or two…or more!) that you didn’t even know existed! They may even offer something that you had been looking for. Who knows? So come on out and see who will be there!
6. Goodie bags! – The first 50 shopper to arrive to Shopping & Sweets will receive a bag filled with coupons, promotions, samplers and great info on about all of our participating retailers, service providers and bag drop sponsors!
5. Prizes! – We have had some very generous businesses donate pretty amazing prizes in order to make things a little “sweeter” for you, the shopper. All items will make up our grand door prize worth over $250! All you need to do is show up and fill out a ballot at our welcome table for your chance to win!
4. Baz’Art- This year, we will be running our show at the same time as the annual Baz’Art show, an event designed to showcase local artists and artisans. Baz’Art will be taking place on the lower level of The Shenkman Arts Centre. Read more about Baz’Art.
3. Change of scenery– We all know what the malls and their parking lots are like at this time of year. Yikes. Shopping & Sweets will be taking place at the gorgeous Shenkman Arts Centre. Parking is plentiful and the building is beautiful, spacious and decorated for the holiday season. There will also be a Christmas Choir performing throughout the day. You’ll love the festive atmosphere.
2. Free Coffee – Generously donated by Ten Thousand Villages, all shoppers will get delicious free fair trade coffee…just for showing up!
1. Cupcakes…Julie from Sugar & Spice Bakery is our amazing, talented and generous cupcake sponsor. She will be baking hundreds of cupcakes that will be available for purchase. It’s hard to choose, but some may say that her cupcakes are the “sweetest” part of Shopping & Sweets
Hope to see you on Saturday December 3rd!
Rebecca blogs about family and motherhood, is a self-professed foodie, and dabbles in online engagement and community giving. She has a strange love for maple syrup that can possibly only be matched by her love for chocolate and coffee.