It's hard to make connections in our community. We're busy people, with jobs (sometimes multiple jobs!), kids, pets, housework and financial worries. But building a community to support yourself and your family is a marvelous way to make friends and find others to lean on when times get tough. I've built my own community here in Ottawa in many different ways, and participating in groups and events has been instrumental in helping me find other like-minded parents to hang out with.
That's why I was excited to hear about the Community Cup, taking place this Saturday (June 28th) at Brewer Park.
The Community Cup is a not for profit, multicultural initiative that integrates volunteerism and sports. Initiated and hosted by the Catholic Centre for Immigrants in 2005, this volunteer driven, major event in Ottawa, is primarily a fun and engaging way to help newcomers and non-newcomers connect in a barrier free way that celebrates diversity and welcoming communities. The Community Cup is now an annual community festival, featuring soccer, multicultural dance and music, international food, a citizenship ceremony, events for the kids, and more.
In this day-long event, there will be:
- A 64 team co-ed recreational 7-on-7 Soccer Tournament with 4 divisions starting at age 7 and up.
- A Community Tent hosting 25 Ottawa-area non-profit and community service organizations
- Live Entertainment and Music with hints of Multicultural flavours
- Live streaming of the FIFA World Cup matches
- A Kids Zone for ages 14 and under providing non-stop activities, games, crafts, entertainment and a youth soccer challenge.
- Soccer Skills Challenge hosted by the Ottawa Fury and CKCU. Come meet the players!
- An Interactive Demonstration Sports area presented by various sports clubs/groups to learn and try out new sports and find out how to get involved. All abilities welcomed.
- A Canadian Citizenship Ceremony (1pm to 2pm). Witness and welcome newcomers to our great country.
- Experience delicious Local Food provided local vendors and food trucks.
And bonus? You can pop over to the Ottawa Farmer's Market for some fresh fruit and veg!!
Check out the website for more details, and comment below if you end up attending! Have fun!!