There’s no better way to use those wrinkly brown bananas than for a fresh loaf of sweet banana bread. Over the years I’ve perfected this recipe, making healthy substitutes and experimenting with low-sugar options. This recipe is also doubled, so that you can make a dozen muffins and one loaf of bread at the same time - but if you only want muffins OR bread, just halve all the ingredients!
2.5 cups of whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground flour from Castor River farm)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
4 ripe/brown bananas
1/2 cup applesauce*
1/2 cup canola oil (or melted butter, sunflower oil, coconut oil - note that sunflower or coconut will give the bread a different flavour)
Extras: throw in 1-2 cups of dark chocolate chips or walnuts, or a mixture of both
1) Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, along with your extras (choc chips and walnuts)
2) Throw all wet ingredients in a blender or use another bowl with a mixer, and blend until smooth.
3) Pour wet ingredients into dry, and mix JUST until combined
4) Pour half the batter into a greased loaf pan, and spoon the rest into muffin cups.
5) Bake at 375 degrees C: about 20-25 minutes for muffins, and 50-60 minutes for the loaf.
*if you don't have applesauce you can use 1 cup of oil/butter. The applesauce adds some extra sweetness, as there is not a lot of sugar in this loaf!
Try not to burn your mouth ;)