You might be wondering - what does the Ottawa Boat and Sportsmen's Show have to do with kids? Well, I'm excited to tell you!
Here are some examples of the program for the show (running from February 19th - 22nd at the EY Centre). There are events and exhibitors geared to all ages:
- Husqvarna’s West Coast Lumberjacks: Aimed to be a crowd pleaser, this family-friendly action-packed axe wielding group will amaze crowds with their fearless skills and even offer up a chance for attendees to try their hand at hitting the target
- Learn to fish with the Ministry of Natural Resources: This year Canadian Sportsfishing will feature a fishing stimulator giving children and adults the chance to get in on the thrill and feeling of catching a fish.
- Tips from a Blind Fisherman Pro: Can you feel the bite? Learn from Lawrence Gunther, North America’s only completely Blind Fishing Pro honed his skills fishing commercially for Cod off Canada’s East Coast and now competes in tournaments throughout Canada
- Get WILD with Birds of Prey: Get up close and personal with live Falcons, American Kestrel, Owls and Peregrine Falcons
- Memory Lane: The Manotick Classic Boat Club will display stunning antique classics from a 1930 ‘Dippy’ (disappearing propeller) boat to a canoe that’s over 100 years old
I spent many summers up at our family cottage in Haliburton, Ontario, and boating was a huge part of the experience. I learned how to fish with my uncles, and loved to motor around the lake before parking in a quiet corner to see if the fish would bite. When I was a teenager and got invited to other friend's cottages, there was nothing better than a day out on a speedboat, hitting the wakes with a giant tube. With access to rivers and lakes here in Ottawa, I'm looking forward to getting my own kids out on the water!
So I'm excited to be giving away 2 family passes (each pass includes 2 adults and 2 juniors) to this annual event. To enter, simply leave a comment below, and tell me your favourite part about living near the water. I will draw a winner using Random.org on Friday February 6th at noon. ***CONTEST NOW CLOSED***